Indulge in a wintertime classic with Cream of Asparagus Soup! This nourishing and creamy dish is an effortless filling option that can be enjoyed in various styles. Try the Cream of Asparagus soup barefoot contessa for a super delicious twist. This simple and flavorful soup is made by blending fresh asparagus with Cream, butter, and various herbs and spices. Don’t let the name confuse you: this soup is sometimes called pea soup and is a popular staple in French country-style restaurants. So the next time you’re looking for a simple and heartwarming dish, look no further than Cream of Asparagus Soup!
Is Barefoot Contessa’s Cream of Asparagus Soup a healthy option?
Barefoot Contessa’s Cream of asparagus soup? A 100% healthy, whole-food goodness with no starches or chemical nasties! Compare that to bland canned soups loaded with artifice; you’ve got a winner.
What are the ingredients in Barefoot Contessa’s Cream of Asparagus Soup?
This soup recipe highlights asparagus, accompanied by mouthwatering ingredients like chicken broth, Cream, and butter for exceptional creaminess. Plus, some finely selected seasonings add an appetizing flavor to the dish.
What are the nutrition facts for Barefoot Contessa’s Cream of Asparagus Soup?
Amount Per Serving
- Calories 161
- Total Fat 8.2g
- Saturated Fat 3.3g
- Cholesterol 22mg
- Sodium 1042mg
- Potassium 360mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7g
- Protein 6.3g
- Vitamin A 12%
- Vitamin C 6.6%
- Calcium 13%
- Iron 4.8%
How Do You Thicken Asparagus Soup?
Asparagus soup can be easily thickened with a few simple ingredients. Use plain yogurt or sour Cream to quickly reduce the texture of your soup and make it more creamy. You may also opt for heavy Cream or mashed potatoes as an alternative thickening agent. And if all else fails, you can add a little cornstarch or arrowroot powder to lend thickness to the soup without altering its flavor too much. Furthermore, you may thicken your soup by adding some spinach leaves, which will help increase its viscosity while offering plenty of health benefits!
How to Make Cream of asparagus soup barefoot contessa
Barefoot Contessa’s Cream of Asparagus Soup Ingredients
- Three tablespoon butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 ½ cups asparagus, cut into ½-inch pieces and woody stems removed
- 3 ½ cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup heavy Cream
- Sour Cream, optional, for garnish
- Fresh dill, optional, for garnish
How Do You Choose the Freshest Asparagus?
Get the best out of your asparagus game with these tips for choosing the right ones for a delicious Barefoot Contessa’s Cream of asparagus soup:
-Size doesn’t matter: Whether thick or thin, fresh asparagus always tastes great, so don’t get hung up on the size.
-Keep an eye on appearance: Straight and smooth stalks, with rich green color and a slight violet hue at the tips and ends, are the way to go. Check the lots for flakiness or dryness if the grocery store doesn’t store them on a damp pad or in shallow water or ice.
-Avoid wilted or wrinkled ones and any with black tips falling off the stalk.
Start by melting butter in a Dutch oven set over medium heat. Then, add garlic and saute it until you can smell the fragrance, for about 1-2 minutes. Next, add our hero ingredient, asparagus, and saute it for about 5 minutes until it turns bright green. Add chicken broth, salt, and pepper, and bring the mixture to a boil over high heat.
Once you’ve reached boiling point, reduce the heat and let the mixture simmer for about 10 minutes or until the asparagus becomes soft. It’s blending time! Pour the soup into a powerful blender and blend until smooth. Finally, transfer the soup back to the pot and add heavy Cream while stirring it until it’s heated. Serve the soup garnished with sour cream and fresh dill.
How to Make Barefoot Contessa’s Asparagus Soup Without Cream?
The secret to Barefoot Contessa’s creamy asparagus soup is heavy Cream! If you have a thing against dairy, replace it with full-fat coconut milk or coconut cream, and you’re still good to go. Whatever you do, please don’t try to replace it with low-fat milk. Almond or hemp milk just won’t cut it, as they lack the richness you need for that smooth, creamy texture that we all love in asparagus soup.
How to Store Barefoot Contessa’s Cream of Asparagus Soup in the Fridge
Here are the steps to ensure that Barefoot Contessa’s Cream of Asparagus Soup stays fresh and tasty in the fridge.
- Step 1: Allow the soup to cool. This helps prevent condensation buildup inside the container and maintains its texture.
- Step 2: Transfer the soup to an airtight container. Clean and dry containers help keep the soup fresh and prevent unwanted odors.
- Step 3: Cover the soup. Tight sealing helps maintain the freshness of the soup. Cover the container tightly with plastic wrap, aluminum foil, or a lid.
- Step 4: Label and date the container. Keeping track of the storage date helps ensure freshness and prevent the soup from being forgotten in the fridge.
- Step 5: Store in the fridge. Find a good spot where the container won’t be easily disturbed.
Follow these tips to store Cream of Asparagus Soup for 3-4 days without it going bad. And remember to reheat it in case you have leftovers!
How to Store Barefoot Contessa’s Cream of Asparagus Soup in the Freezer?
You can easily store it in the freezer and enjoy it anytime! Here’s how:
- Step 1: Cool it down. Ensure your Asparagus Soup Cream has cooled down completely at room temperature before you start the freezing process. This will prevent condensation from forming inside the container.
- Step 2: Choose your container. Pick a freezer-safe container that can be airtight, has a secure seal that fits well, and is clean and dry. Glass and plastic containers are both great options.
- Step 3: Portion it out. Consider whether you want to store it in individual portions or family-sized ones. This will help you with thawing and reheating later on.
- Step 4: Fill it up. Once you’ve chosen your container and portioned your soup, transfer the cooled soup into the container, leaving some headspace at the top to expand as the soup freezes. Make sure you seal the container tightly to prevent air and freezer burn.
- Step 5: Label it. Remember to label your container with the soup’s name and the date you prepared it. A permanent marker works best to ensure it doesn’t smudge or fade.
- Step 6: Freeze it. Place the Cream of Asparagus Soup container in the freezer, ensuring it’s in a flat position to prevent leaks and maximize space. Leave enough space around the container for proper air circulation.
Your Barefoot Contessa’s Cream of Asparagus Soup can be stored for up to 2 months. The only thing left to do is thaw and reheat the soup thoroughly before serving, and you’re ready to enjoy it all over again.
What are some recommended dishes to serve with Barefoot Contessa’s Cream of Asparagus Soup?
Here are some recommendations that will undoubtedly make your culinary experience delightful:
- Garlic Bread: Take a baguette, slice it, spread garlic butter on each slice, and toast it golden and crispy in the oven. Garlic bread’s savory flavors and the creamy asparagus soup make an ideal match.
- Toasted Sourdough: Slice it and toast it until lightly browned and crispy. The sourdough’s tangy flavor and chewy texture complement the creamy soup beautifully.
- Roasted Chicken Breasts: Season it with herbs, salt, and pepper, and burn it to perfection in the oven until golden. The tender and juicy chicken is perfect alongside the creamy soup.
- Pork Chops: Season them with your favorite spices, then sear them in a hot pan until browned and cooked to your desired doneness. The savory pork complements the creamy soup’s flavors perfectly.
- Sausages: Grilled or roasted sausages offer an incredibly satisfying and comforting addition to the meal. Please choose your favorite type, whether chicken, pork, or vegetarian, and cook until browned and cooked. The savory and slightly spicy sausages pair well with the creamy asparagus soup.
- Salad with Dried Cranberries and Walnuts: Add a touch of freshness and crunch by throwing in a salad with dried cranberries and walnuts. Mix fresh greens, like spinach or arugula, and toss them with a vinaigrette dressing. Finally, add some dried cranberries and chopped walnuts for flavor and textures.
Recipe Tips & Variations
Check out these three twists to classic asparagus soup recipes:
- Cream of Asparagus with Milk: Using milk can thin out the soup, stripping it of the textures and creaminess that most find so irresistible.
- Vegan Cream of Asparagus: Looking for a vegan option that still nails the flavor? Try switching out the chicken broth for vegetable broth, and opt for coconut milk instead of heavy Cream.
- Asparagus and Leek Soup: Love the savory flavor of leeks? This version swaps out some asparagus for leeks, but make sure to stick to the tender white and light green parts instead of the tough green tops.
FAQs: Cream of asparagus soup barefoot contessa
How long will Cream of asparagus soup last?
When stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator, Cream of asparagus soup will last up to 4 days.
What are the benefits of asparagus soup?
Asparagus is a low-calorie, nutrient-rich vegetable. It is an excellent source of vitamins A, C, and K, fiber, and folate. The cream base of the soup adds additional calcium and protein for a nutritional boost!
Why is My Barefoot Contessa’s Cream of Asparagus Soup Stringy?
Asparagus is naturally high in a compound called cellulose, which makes it stringy when cooked. To avoid this, add an extra tablespoon of butter or Cream to the soup mixture before blending. This will help break up the fibers and create a smooth texture.
What Herbs Go in Barefoot Contessa’s Cream of Asparagus Soup?
The herbs you should include in your Cream of Asparagus Soup to make it a Barefoot Contessa specialty are fresh thyme, rosemary, oregano, and parsley. These herbs add an extra layer of flavor to the already tasty vegetable-based soup!
Conclusion: Cream of asparagus soup barefoot contessa
To summarize, the Cream of Asparagus Soup from Barefoot Contessa is a delicious, flavor-packed meal any time of the year! Not only is the soup simple to make, but it is also incredibly healthy and easy to pair with side dishes for a complete meal. And while some may think that asparagus is typically a seasonal vegetable, this recipe proves that asparagus can be enjoyed year-round! Pick up some fresh asparagus and give this recipe a try. Buyer, explore our website for more recipes like this and get creative in the kitchen.